I’m looking forward to offering some new courses in the year ahead. In the fall, I will teach the Perspectives in History course for history majors.  We’ll put a civic engagement spin on the course by getting involved with local historical societies in the process of learning about historical research methods, historiography, and citizenship in the United States.

For graduate students, in the fall I will offer Issues in Public History (previously Introduction to Public History), which provides opportunities to investigate site-specific issues in the field through research and interviews at our region’s many historic sites, museums, and archives.  In the spring, I am planning a new course, Historic Interpretation, which will emphasize vital skills for public historians — understanding historiography, learning how current scholarship applies in the mid-Atlantic region, and communicating a deep knowledge of history to the public in a variety of ways.

If you are looking for book lists for these courses, please see the “books” links in the Schedule of Classes or visit the web site of the Campus Bookstore.