The following books have been ordered through the University District Book Store for the combined course Issues in Public History (graduate students) and Intro to Public History (undergraduates).
Please read the first book on the list before the first class on September 11, with special attention to the introduction and Chapters 11, 12, and 13. This book is to give everyone a common understanding of the scope of the field of public history — skim any portions that do not interest you.
- Cauvin, Public History: A Textbook of Practice.
- Linenthal, History Wars
- Horton, Slavery and Public History
- Martinez, et al, Confederate Symbols in the Contemporary South
- Sergel, See You in the Streets
- Hamer, History in Urban Places
Additional readings will be online or chosen individually from a list of recommendations.
Undergraduate students in “Public History Practice” will have individualized readings, available online or in the library at MARCH.